Now this is another bit of homerism. The fact that Blair White went to the Colts is interesting and the fact that LaGarrette Blount will probably falcon punch his way past Anthony Dixon are interesting and all. But for the Packers? There are five guys who could really be interesting. Or at least make the roster.
1) Tim Knicky (DE/OLB Stephen F. Austin) Why? Because he was a very productive defensive end in college who showed at the Texas vs. The Nation game that he can play at Outside Linebacker. If he starts fast in camp? He can force his way in.
2) Noah Shepard (QB-South Dakota) Why? Because he has great physical gifts, not to mention the fact that he fits Bill Parcells four rules for drafting a quarterback prospect. 23 wins, 3 year starter, and a senior graduate. There’s a lot to like about him.
3) Chris Campbell (OT-Eastern Illinois) Why? Because he’s a pretty good right tackle mauler type. There may not be so much space at the inn. But Campbell could find his way in as a right tackle.
4) Frank Zombo (OLB-Central Michigan) Why? Because he’s a bit of a Connor Barwin type. Soft hands and pass rush skills mean he could grow up to be another Spencer Havner.
5) Alex Joesph (ILB-Temple) Why? Because he’s a special teamer. And as a PFA? He’s a cheap special teamer.
Note: I would add Sam Shields (CB-Miami) to the list. Rumor has it that he signed with the Packers. And he’s a tremendous athlete. Raw as a corner, but with return skills and three college years at wideout? He could find his way into being somebody.